Kathmandu to Gokyo Lakes is one of the most adventurous treks in the upper Khumbu Valley, where you get to see tempting glaciers and giant Himalayan mountain views. If you wish to ignore the crowded Everest base camp trail and rather walk on a tranquil, rugged path, then our Gokyo Lakes trek 10 days is a perfect package. The first few days of the Gokyo Lake trekking (up to Namche Bazaar) are very busy.
From Namche Bazaar, we ascend to Mong La pass and follow the route to beautiful Gokyo Valley via remote Dole and Machhermo villages. While trekking following the steep zigzag routes, the Himalayan mountains like Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cho Oyu, Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Gyachu Kang, Island Peak, Pumori, Chamlang, Khumbila, etc gradually unfold themselves.
Many travel companies refer to this particular itinerary as the Everest Gokyo Lake trek. So do not get confused. As you might have guessed from the name of the package, you explore the turquoise freshwater lake system that ranges from 4,700 meters to 5,000 meters. The Gokyo Lakes are holy lakes and offer a surreal landscape from their shores. The latter part of the trail ascends along the biggest glacier in Nepal, Ngozumpa Glacier.
The night stay at picturesque villages, gorgeous snow-capped mountains, pristine glaciers, glistening lakes, and the warm hospitality of the locals along the Gokyo lake trek route make the overall venture incredible. You may come across wildlife like musk deer, blue sheep, snow leopards, etc, along with a range of birds like monal and danfe on the way. Similarly, the trail is abundant in alpine plants and flowers.
Is this trip right for you?
Ask yourself the below questions to get the answer, whether the Gokyo Lakes trek is the right trek for you or not.
- Are you fit enough to walk on a steep, rugged trail? Can your body handle all the pressure while ascending and descending?
- Can you live without modern comforts and limited food options?
- Are you willing to give the time and effort needed to prepare for the trek?
- Are you ready to withstand all the hurdles traveling in one of the remotest parts of the world throws at you?
Difficulty & altitude sickness
In terms of difficulty, the Everest Gokyo lakes trek is very doable if you are well-prepared. The trail is not that challenging, especially for trekkers with previous experience. New trekkers can consider the Gokyo Lakes trek if they think they can push themselves and can cope with limited services. There are many steep sections. You walk on glaciers and rocky paths too.
The risks of altitude sickness demand you be aware all the time and acclimatize. You have to follow the lead of your guide and follow his instructions in case of any medical emergency. We do have ample acclimatization days in the Gokyo lake trek itinerary. Other than this, you have to be ready to live a very simple mountain lifestyle. Endurance is important.
A well-prepared trekker can do the Gokyo Lake trek successfully and safely. The preparation involves many things, from getting your mind & body ready to packing all the essentials.
- Body: To get your body ready for the Gokyo Lakes trek 10 days, you have to make it fit and active. Go on a hike, exercise, or do cardiovascular activities that involve high-intensity cardio, such as swimming, cycling, hiking, running, etc. You have to build your stamina and establish walking habits.
- Mind: Gokyo lake trekking brings a drastic change in your life. Everything will be different and minimal. You do not get a strong internet connection, no food like cities, and no easy life. You have to adjust to the mountain lifestyle and appreciate it to enjoy the trek. So prepare your mind and get it ready to adjust.
- Packing: Packing wisely is crucial. Given the unstable weather of the Himalayas, you have to prepare for all kinds of climates. It can get hot, cold, or windy at any time in the mountains. Follow the packing guidelines and talk to our travel consultants to know more in-depth about the trek.
- Travel Insurance: We ask for travel insurance to keep you safe if any emergency occurs in the mountains. One thing about remote areas is anything can happen at any time. Therefore, you cannot take even the slightest risk. Get yourself well-covered travel insurance that covers emergency air evacuation and medical bills.
Alternative trek packages
These are some alternative trekking packages that are beginner friendly- Langtang valley trek, Poon Hill trek, Mardi Himal trek, Mohare danda trek, Pikey Peak trek, Helambu trek, etc.
If you want to level up the adventure and thrill a little bit consider these packages instead- Annapurna base camp trek, Upper Mustang trek, Gosainkunda trek, Tilicho Lake trek, etc.
Tobook the Gokyo valley trek 2023 spring and autumn departure, you can send us your inquiry through our site or contact us at one of our given numbers. Likewise, you can also make an early booking to trek to Gokyo Valley in 2024. We take bookings for both private and big groups.